Friday, October 10, 2008

classes have started!

I have officially finished my first week of classes and it has been an interesting one. My friends and I have been joking about how we feel like we are back in high school again. All of our classes are in the same building as our program office and the cafeteria we eat at. We never have a reason to go outside! While I'm sure as it starts to get colder I will appreciate staying inside, I'm kind of missing the walking between classes I have at Madison. So far I think that my classes through my program are going to be very similar to the ones I have taken through the university so far. They are designed to make us feel more at home. My class through the university here though is going to be challenging. Yesterday I was handed a 9 page reading list, needless to say its not the one book requirement I am used to having. While I won't have to read all the books on the list, its going to be a chore to just figure out which readings will be the most beneficial to me. My teacher seems to be pretty good though, she speaks without a heavy accent and knows what she is talking about (half the books on the list were ones she has written- maybe its not so different from classes back home!)
My week got interesting though on Tuesday night, I came home to realize the power had gone out and I was the only one there. Luckily my roommate got home soon after and knew who to call, but we were still without power for the rest of the evening. Went I came home from class on Wednesday the power was back on, but since I hadn't know if it would be I hadn't gone to the grocery store to replace my food supply. I threw out most of the food I had, but thought some of it was still going to be okay to eat. That was my big mistake, because I got to spend all day yesterday in bed sick. I think I have learned my lesson!
The week is done now though and I can relax, I am leaving tomorrow to spend my long weekend in France. My Bible study leader from France, is actually on staff in Toulouse so I'll be going to visit her before she comes home to get married! I am so excited and cannot wait to see her!

No comments: